4.15.2010

Entering the running world

After years of hearing "you should start running" from my dad and weighing the benefits of the exercise against the benefits of laziness, I've finally committed to take up running...and there's no backing out now.

Back in March, I signed up to run the Marine Corps Marathon. It will be my first marathon, and I'm doing my best to not think about if it will be my last or not. Merely surviving the run in October is my goal, If along the way I manage to have a fun time, get in better shape, lose some weight, raise some money for charity and make some friends along the way, I'll welcome those perks, but for now, simply finishing the race and living to tell about it will be enough for me.

I've been running consistently three times a week for about a month or so, and I just started my marathon training program last week. Jeff Galloway's program comes highly recommended by the officials running the Marine Corps Marathon, my dad (who has completed the MCM twice), and, surprisingly, my next-door neighbor, who it turns out is a runner and has invited me to join his running group (more on that in a future post). I've had good days and bad days, and so far the good days have outnumbered the bad ones...we'll see if that continues as my milage increases.

I plan to use this blog as a journal of sorts for my training. I'll focus on training for the MCM, detailing how runs are going, but really, I'd like to use this blog to share the random thoughts that I have during my runs. These can range from anything to future house projects, the charity I'll be running for, playing with the dog, the incredible ball of suck that is the Kansas City Royals bullpen, thoughts of how to use this blog (yep, I'm might even post a run blog about thinking about blogging while I'm running)...really anything that pops into my head while I continue to try and put one foot in front of the other. Feel free to participate in the comments...my goal is to post something at least after every run and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment